Bernard Vavrek Scholarship
$1,000 awarded annually
I. Intent of Scholarship
One of the slated purposes of the Association of Bookmobile and Outreach Services is “to contribute to the education and training of library staff working in the area of bookmobile and outreach services.” To help fulfill this goal, ABOS has created the Bernard Vavrek Scholarship.
It will be awarded annually to a student who is currently enrolled and has completed at least one semester in a Library and/or Information Science graduate degree program, and who is interested in this particular field within the library profession.
Dr. Bernard Vavrek, Professor of Library Science, Chair of the Library Science Department at Clarion University, recently retired after teaching at Clarion from 1971-2008. He co-founded with John Philip the “Great American Bookmobile Conference,” running it for many years until ABOS was formed and took over management of the conference.
This scholarship honors Dr. Vavrek’s profound commitment to library science and, in particular, bookmobile and outreach services.
II. Amount of the Award
The amount of $1,000 will be awarded annually to a qualified Library and/or Information Science student. A check will be sent directly to the ALA accredited library school where the applicant is currently enrolled to be applied to the next term of study.
III. Eligibility Requirements
The applicant must:
· Currently enrolled and have completed at least one semester in a graduate degree program in Library and/or Information
· Science program at an ALA-accredited library school.
· Maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or better.
· Demonstrate an interest in outreach/bookmobile librarianship.
IV. Application Requirements/Checklist
· Your name
· Your contact information including mailing address, phone number, and email address
· The name and contact information of the ALA-accredited library school which you are attending
· A copy of your most recent transcript showing a grade point average of 3.0 or better
· A personal narrative showcasing your interest in outreach/bookmobile librarianship
· Two letters of reference
V. Key Dates
· This scholarship is awarded in October of each year.
· 2019 applications for the Bernard Vavrek Scholarship are now open!
2019 ABOS Awards Chair:
Cathy Zimmerman, Vice President/President Elect
Scott County Library System
200 N. 6th Ave.
Eldridge, IA 52748
563-285-4794 ext. 2237 (Office)